APOLLON – DOSSIER OF THE BAYERISCHEN STAATSOPER
New articles every week on the themes of our programme
With your advert in a Bayerische Staatsoper publication you address an attractive and purchase-empowered target group!
With approximately 600,000 guests visiting some 450 performances every year and utilisation of over
95 percent, the Bayerische Staatsoper is one of the world’s most renowned opera houses. We therefore not only look back proudly over 350 years of successful history, but rather also believe we must stimulate increasingly more direction-setting discussions, set cultural and design trends and address an interested, varied and diverse audience.
Whether it’s the yearly preview, our programme booklet, event calendar or the APOLLON magazine – each of our publications addresses a clearly defined target group and is testament to our aesthetic expertise and social relevance.
Our publications are information carriers, promising and desirable enthusiast items, contemporary witnesses of the times and coveted collectibles.
We invite you to become part of our fascinating world with your advert. Also make our demanding audiences enthusiastic about your company, your product and your world. Feel free to talk to us!
+49 89 21 85 10 39
BAYERISCHE STAATSOPER – THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTS AND FIGURES
The Bayerische Staatsoper makes an important contribution to Munich’s reputation as one of the world’s great cities of culture. With approximately 600,000 guests visiting some 450 performances every year – along with opera also ballet, concert and lieder recitals – and utilisation of over 95 percent, the Bayerische Staatsoper is one of the world’s most renowned opera houses. With almost forty operas from four centuries per season, the Bayerische Staatsoper’s programme is also one of the most diverse among the international opera houses.
The Staatsoper is not only the most financially successful house in Germany – in the last ten years it has also won numerous coveted awards in the artistic domain:
● Orchestra of the Year, Opernwelt: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
● Opera House of the Year, Opernwelt: 2014
● International Opera Awards: Company of the Year 2018
The Munich audience is an extremely attractive target group for advertisers.
Where opera, concert and ballet performances were once primarily considered cultural leisure pleasure for the somewhat older among us, today people of all ages visit our
5 percent of visitors are under 30.
47 percent of visitors are between 30 and 59.
48 percent of visitors are 60 and older.
The ratio of female to male visitors is split as follows:
57 percent female audience
43 percent male audience
Especially attractive for advertisers is the fact that the Bayerische Staatsoper’s visitors are culture fans and have an especially high budget: A good 27 percent of visitors have a net household income of more than EUR 6,000 per month.
Just under 30 percent of the audience have opted for a subscription and therefore visit the Bayerische Staatsoper regularly.
The Bayerische Staatsoper’s guests are a loyal regular audience, which advertisers can win over through targeted and long-term ad placement: More than 65 percent of our visitors come from Munich and the surrounding Munich areas.
The engelsloge magazine provides detailed, high-level information about the programme of the Bayerische Staatsoper, the Bayerisches Staatsballett and the Bayerisches Staatsorchester. Performers, directors, conductors and staff members of the institution express themselves in interviews. Reportages, background reports and columns illustrate the respective current topics. Among other elements the service pages provide the current programme, instructions on advance ticket sales and seating plans. The multi-month topicality of every issue allows readers to pick up the magazine time and again.
The adverts placed in it therefore enjoy repeated attention.
- Circulation: Approximately 200,000
- Distribution: The magazine appears four times per year and as a supplement across Bavaria in the Süddeutsche Zeitung newspaper.
- Readership: The engelsloge’s readers are between 30 and 80 years old.
- Advert formats*:
1/1 (page format 210 x 297)
½ portrait (page format 101 x 297, print space 93.5 x 283)
½ landscape (page format 210 x 147, print space 195 x 140)
⅓ portrait (page format 69.5 x 297, print space 62 x 283)
⅓ landscape (page format 210 x 97, print space 195 x 95)
¼ corner display (page format 101 x 147)
*plus 3 millimetre bleed margin on all sides
Print process: Four colour-heatset-web offset
The Bayerische Staatsoper’s yearly preview allows opera lovers an early preview of the respective following season. This comprehensive publication not only includes the entire programme of the coming season – it also features detailed cast information, concert programmes, prices, seating plans and much more. With the integrated pocket calendar, the yearly preview is also an everyday companion for visitors. It therefore also ensures high usage intensity – and also for the ads placed in it of course.
- Circulation: The annual preview is already being issued in the current season for the coming season in a circulation of 25,000 copies.
- Distribution: The annual preview can be bought as a subscription and ordered in writing. It is also sold in the Nationaltheater before performances and in the Opera Shop. All partners and sponsors of the house are also sent a copy by post on issue.
- Issue date – expected to be April 2022
Deadline – still to be announced
The Bayerisches Staatsballett annual preview provides ballet lovers extensive information on all productions, special events and additional events in a season. Accompanying texts and pictures for the individual stagings, all dates, prices, advance sales periods and seating plans are compiled in one brochure, which, thanks to its handy size, fits nicely into handbags or jacket pockets.
- Circulation: The ballet annual preview is already being issued in the current season for the coming season in a total circulation of 60,000 copies.
- Distribution: The preview is free of charge and is lying out to take away at all Bayerisches Staatsballett venues and advance sales points. It is also available at Munich’s tourist information points, the Pinakotheken, in various city centre hotels and at further service points. A delivery of 15,000 copies is also sent in July to selected homes and companies.
- Advert formats:
1/1 page (page format 105 x 158)
*plus 3 millimetre bleed margin on all sides
Issue date – expected to be July 2022
In original contributions and articles the Bayerische Staatsoper programme booklets provide the reader detailed information on the plot, history of the piece, libretto and the composer of the respective performance. On average over 100 pages thick and lavishly illustrated, the programme booklets are much-loved companions through the opera, ballet or concert performance and are also coveted collectibles.
Every second visitor purchases the programme, more or less.
The bound booklets themselves are free of adverts.
Attractive advertising options are however found in the advert folder in the integrated cast list, which provides information on that day’s cast.
● Circulation/sale: The programme booklets are sold depending on size for prices between EUR 2 and EUR 7 to approx. 1,000 visitors per performance. This equates with a monthly circulation of some 30,000 copies.
● Distribution: The cast lists are reprinted current to the day and accompany the programme booklet of the respective opera or ballet production together with the advert folder.
● Booking frequency – monthly
● Publication frequency – programme daily
● Deadline: 15th of the previous month
● Print closing date: 20th of the previous month
● Advert formats:
1/1 page (page format 159 x 215, print space 138 x 198)
4/1 page (page format 159 x 215, print space 138 x 198 per page)
- ADMISSION TICKET ADVERTISING CARRIER
The rear sides of our opera tickets are an advertising carrier with memo value and collectability. With the admission ticket the visitor then has your advert in their hand. (Terms on request)
- TOP-QUALITY TICKET SLEEVES
In the style of a gift sleeve, after sending they are also a safe storage point for admission tickets that are often kept nice and orderly long before the date arrives. (Terms on request)
- MONTHLY PREVIEW
The current programme overview of all categories – handy, free of charge and available everywhere: that’s the Bayerische Staatsoper’s monthly preview. It appears every three months in a circulation of 100,000 and is sent to some 25,000 homes and companies. Use the exclusive advertising spaces on the U2 and U3 cover pages. (Terms on request)